How to get relief from piles?

Hi There,

Please can you tell me how to get rid of piles?

Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid there is no magic remedy to actually get rid of piles. Its first of all important to understand what piles are all about. These arise due to distension of the veins that drain venous blood from the anal region back to the heart for oxygenation. When these veins have defective valves, or there is a blockage in the venous drainage system., or due to at simple chronic constipation, these veins get distended.

Management shall depend on the location of these piles or hemorroids(internal or external), the stage (internal, get to the outside with pressure such as during stooling or are permanently outside), the symptoms (formation of stones, infections or bleeding).

Consulting a proctologist is therefore of utmost importance. Management could range from simple life style changes like more fruits and vegetables, drinking lots of water, to drugs like venotonics to increase contractility of veins, anti inflammatory drugs either local or systemic in case of pain, to surgery in case of torsion of a stone, hemorroids permanently outside the rectum or hemorroids that bleed severely.

The management therefore depends on the stage, I suggest you book an appointment therefore with your proctologist. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD