How to get relief from pain and swelling in leg?

Hi! Earlier I was standing on some outside steps (wooden) when suddenly the step caved in from rotting, & my leg went right through the step up to about my knee. I hit the front of my XXXXXXX ( I think that's what it's called) really hard when my leg went through. Now it's hurting & a little swollen plus warm to the touch. Is this nothing serious, or should I visit the ER??
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I presume that the injury took place during the past 24 hours and the swelling is in the front of leg a little below the knee joint. Injury in this portion, which you rightly mentioned XXXXXXX is very painful as there is no muscle between the skin and the bone. The way you sustained the injury I do not think that much damage has been done. I suggest you take some pain killer like acetamenophen three to four times a day with meals and do hot fomentation if the injury happened more than 24 hours ago. The swelling should start subsiding in the next day or two.

In case the swelling increases or you have difficulty in walking then you should visit the Emergency Room immediately. It is always better to get it examined.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts regarding the problem.

Wishing you an early recovery.