How to get relief from chigger bites, itchy skin and the wounds?

How can I get rid of chigger bites?
Was at a barbecue and got bitten by chiggers. They itch like crazy. How can I get rid of the itch and heal the wounds.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

First, I apologize for the delayed response.

Chigger bite doesn't cause infection by itself. The bite triggers inflammatory / hypersensitivity response that causes itching and rashes. This symptom should face away over a few days unless you do not induce infection by a scatch.

What can help you are the following:
1. Wash the affected area under running water with soap.
2. You can apply topical soothening agent like a calamine/caladryl lotion over the affected areas. Topical steroid cream like 2.5% hydrocortisone can give added relief. Both these product are useful over the counter medications. So there shouldn't be any problem in getting your hands on these medications.
3. If the itching is very, very severe, you can also take systemic antihistamines like Benadryl twice a day.

Along with the above treatment, you will be able to recover faster if you avoid scratching it or by trimming your nails shorter. Monitor the rash for few days. If you notice a growing bump with tenderness/pain or any signs of weeping wound, it can be a sign of infection. In such cases you would need antibiotic (topical/oral).

So do not worry. Follow the aforementioned steps and you should be better very soon.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further concerns.