How to get relief from back pain and abdominal pain?

General Surgeon

Two days ago, after having dinner I began to have back pain.. A few hours later I began to have upper abdominal pain and back pain together. I felt asleep and woke up thinking I was fine but after having breakfast both the back and upper abdominal pain came back... The pain would come and go... Today, when I had a bowel movement it was soft black tar looking... I still have the back pain but no so much the abdominal pain.. What can it be and should I seek medical help right away????
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually starts after a fatty or fried food, it is localized in the upper right or middle abdomen and radiates to the back. Nausea can be also present.
In some cases such symptoms can appear due to peptic ulcer (black stool usually indicates bleeding from the ulcer). The pain is more in the middle than in the right abdomen. Sometimes chest burning or acid reflux is present.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests and urine analysis should be performed at first. If no gallstones, upper GI endoscopy should be done as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: How to get relief from back pain and abdominal pain? 52 minutes later
Oh, thank you very much... Yeah, on that first night the pain started I also did have nausea.. I guess I can make an appointment with my doctor or should I visit the ER?? I am am not very hunry and my belly also feels a bit blowed... I am affaid to eat something and make things worst...
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later

It is not necessary to go to ER as long as you do not have black stools and/or strong abdominal pains. You can get scheduled for mentioned tests.
Until the diagnostics, you should avoid fatty and fried foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, soft drinks. Boiled foods is less irritating.

Hope this will help.