How to get relief from back ache?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am 28 years female, I work in a software firm. I have a problem of backache over the last few months. I have undergone physiotherapy and also consulted a few medicinal doctors. But it has not subsided. As winters approach, the pain increases a lot. The most affected areas are back of shoulder, and middle area of the back.
Please suggest what needs to be done, the pain has increased yesterday and is restricting body movements
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
The pain that you have in the upper back could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Kindly follow up with me about your progress.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.