How to get relief from acute head ache?

Sep 2012

Hi Doctor ! My wife is having acute head ache. Exactly on the middle of fore head, below ears and just above the back of neck. This is being observed since 3 months and recently more severe like 2-3 times a week. please suggest !
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 43 minutes later
Thank you for posting question.

Firstly, Headache is a nonspecific symptom. Headache you have described may occur due to many disease conditions. But, considering the age of your wife, I think most important condition is migraine. It may present as you have described.

As, you told the refraction error of both the eyes are very minimum. That cannot lead to this type of pain.

You have to do the followings.
1.     Tell her to take rest adequately.
2.     Give her nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like paracetamol for reducing the pain.
3.     Along with this, she has to take prochlorperazine group of drugs.
4.     If the above medication cannot give any relief, then sedative agents like alprazolam can be given.
5.     One proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole group of drugs should be taken in empty stomach.
6.     In maintenance dose, she has to take cyproheptadine group of drugs along with sumatriptan group of drugs.
7.     You have to consult with a neurologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering investigations like CT scan if required, and for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.