How to gain hair and control hair loss?

I am looking for some guidance in getting my hair growth back or atleast retaining the hair which I have got.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 12 minutes later

In cases of a genetic pattern of hair loss in males, usually a family history is positive. The age of onset varies from person to person in the same family .It can be anytime after puberty.

In order to help you better, I would like you to let me know if you have ever been to a dermatologist or started any treatment.

How long have you seen you hair loose?

If possible you may upload a picture of your scalp here. You can send them directly to YYYY@YYYY

I will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: How to gain hair and control hair loss? 40 hours later
Hi ,

I also want to add here that I am taking Thyronorm 75 mg currently everyday.
I was reported initially a high TSH of 11. I started taking 25 mg thronorm tables and then i stopped it. After I left and did a recheck again then I saw that my TSH went up to level 34.

I again consulted doctor in Bangalore and now I take 75 mg thyronorm and its been for life. That intake made my TSH stable between 1-2.

I have never gone through any treatment.
I will be sending you the picture of scalp shortly.
Thanks for the reply Tanushree,

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 11 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Hypothyroidism also is an important cause of hair loss. Together with other metabolic conditions in the body, this is a significant contributor of hair loss.

You should also control your weight. Hypothyroidism leads to weight gain in most people and this in turn increases the rate of hair loss due to hormonal factors.

Please continue the medications for thyroid, unless specifically stopped.

Commonly prescribed medications in hair loss are:
1) Biotin: hair vitamin, helps reducing hair loss
2) Minoxidil: is a solution that you apply directly to the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles. It slows hair loss and brings about new hair growth. Hair loss returns when you stop using this medicine.
3) Finasteride: is a pill that interferes with the production of a certain male hormone linked to baldness. It slows hair loss. Hair loss returns when you stop using this medicine. This is only used for male pattern hair loss or androgenic alopecia.

I suggest you visit a dermatologist to assess the hair loss completely and start the required medications. Any therapy for hair loss, especially if due to genetic factors is typically long term and requires considerable patience.

It is also important to start the treatment early as it takes a lot of time (at least 3-6 months) to start seeing a change.

Best wishes,