How to feed a fussy eater?

General Surgeon
My daughter takes lot of time for having food. This is been the casus from beginning. Now XXXXXXX is 4 years old. She always wants to have chocolates & biscuits sometimes Pizza. Can you please suggest some tips to overcome the situation? We give her Tiffin box every day to school, but she never has the food in school. Can I send her fruits for the morning brake fast? I am just thinking, if I do not feed her one day, will she understand the hungry? What are the side effects if I do so?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 days later
Brief Answer: Diet in children requires lot of patience Detailed Answer: Hi Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Being a Pediatric Surgeon I encounter many such children. After all its not easy to bring up children . It requires lot of patience and perseverance. Also starving the child is not the solution to make them understand, it may induce hypoglycaemia which is deleterious to brain. I would suggest you some of the remedies and tips which I feel will definitely help your daughter as has helped many of my kid patients 1. Be sympathetic in your approach towards her: It's very important that junk food is avoided at home , especially elders. The children demand what they see and feel good. It's very important for the parents themselves to develop good eating habits so that they set an good example for the kids ( Not to be taken offensively please). 2. You can definitely give her a serving of fruits for breakfast. But they should not be the only item for the breakfast. Try giving her chapatti roll with fruit jam in the centre. It will provide her carbohydrate and also make it attractive. (Children are attracted to western food especially pizza , so indianize them to suite the nutritional requirements). 3. Addition of boiled egg or sponge egg as it looks more attractive will be helpful. Keep trying the diet which will suite her. 4. Give her plenty of oral fluids and avoid fruit juices and processed food stuff. 5. Parathas with cheese topping may attract her and divert her away from pizzas. It's important that parents respect the taste of children and convince them about the nutritional benefits. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern ad long as growth and development of child is not affected. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon