How to ease growing pain under ribs and what is the treatment for rectal bleeding?

Critical Care Specialist
Pretty healthy, it's almost like when I had phenemonia, it hurts under my right rib when I breathe and radiates to he back left under my shoulder blade. A dr listened to my breathing last Friday and didn't say anything. But the pain is growing in intensity and my temp was 99.5 when they took it on Friday Also the dr I saw on Friday wass because of the ER visit on Thanksgiving. I NEVER GO to the doctor except for routine ck ups, but for 5 mos have had rectal bleeding
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Rectal bleeding & chest pain needs investigation, Detailed Answer: Hello Drutan. Thanks for writing to us. You are having two issues. 1. Rectal bleeding. 2. Pain right side of chest radiated to shoulder. Rectal bleeding for 5 months at the age of 56 needs investigations, and not to be taken lightly. The commonest causes of rectal bleeding at this age are; Anal fissure, pile mass, rectal ulcer ,chron's or ulcerative colitis and finally a malignancy of rectum. There are many more causes, but these are the most common ones. There is nothing to worry. All you need is consultation from a physician who may be able to perform a rectal examination on you and if need arises he may perform sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy on you to rule out above common causes of rectal bleeding. Once cause of rectal bleeding is established it can be easily managed by medical or surgical means. Your second issue pain right side of chest aggravated by breathing and referred to shoulder along with fever is suggestive of an infective focus in your chest. It also needs investigations ranging from simple clinical examination by a physician to chest X Ray and few blood tests..Your right pneumonia could give rise to this type of picture along with cough which you don’t have. You may need a course of antibiotic for chest infection after investigation. Consultation with a physician is advisable who may be able to investigate you for both issues. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more questions, i am readily available to answers your queries, Take care Regards Dr Sadiq