How to differnciate between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism?

Went to a endocrinologist a week ago. Have all symptoms of hypo thyroid. My thyroid is enlarged with the right lobe at 5.5, the left lobe at 3.3. I have 3nodules that all measure 8mm each. Was told that they will not be an issue until they reach 1cm. My bloodwork showed my T3 and T4 both were at 0.9. The PA stated that I should be having symptoms of hyper thyroid not hypo. Because I have all symptoms of hypo even seeing how purple my hand and feet were the PA ordered more tests to determine the communication of my TSH and my pituatry gland, also a test to ck for an auto-immune disease. I was told that the test for the auto-immune disease would not be clear and tell them what type I have if I do, but rather a simple yes or no. My question is what would cause my body to react with all symptoms of a hypo thyroid if I have blood work that shows levels that should trigger hyper thyroid. What are my options now? Should I still press to have my enlargement of my thyroid gland examined more? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
Brief Answer: TSH? Detailed Answer: Dear sir, Hi! all said and done what is TSH? the first step of thyroid evaluation. T3 T4 normal , not hypo or hyper. what the other doctor or his PA said is not relevant. symptoms suggestive of hypothyroidism are more important clue to treat.
Follow-up: How to differnciate between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism? 17 hours later
Thank you for your response, actually it was a typo on the tsh. Error on my part. So they informed me that the higher the number for the T3 and T4 the lower the thyroid produces in turn is deemed as HYPOTHYROID. They said because my numbers were both 0.9 that they were low and that is good because the thyroid is hyper not hypo. I received my results back today regarding my tests for the thyroid communication and test for auto immune, I was told they were all normal. So now I am extremely confused, why are my numbers the way they are, and the gland enlarged all with symptoms of hypo, and as I sit here bundled up my hands and feet are purple, freezing, and zero energy, along with achy arms and legs. I swear that depression alone does not cause that, and if when I do get motivated which is about 4hrs out of the day I do a 4min workout video and cook my meals that are all organic. Something just doesn't add up. Another typo I meant to type a 45min workout video.... Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 8 hours later
Brief Answer: I think thyroid is normal. Detailed Answer: Dear ma'm, i am really sorry but you have suffered a lot. now thyroid is normal as TSH 0.9 is ok but if you are so much symptomatic, i would suggest Serum cortisol, ACTH, electrolytes, LH, FSH and estradiol. How are your vitamin D and B12, and serum calcium levels? supplement yourself with all these and tell me the diffrence. Regards!