How to diagnose the cause for blood in urine ?

hello, i'm a 40 year old woman and for the pass few months i have been having blood in my discharge. i have no burning, itching, irritation in any way, just when i urinate my discharge has blood. i've been to my doctor and my basic pelvic exam was normal/fine. and i've had cbc and it was fine/negative of anything as well. but i'm concern; should i get futher test and what do you think it could be, my doctor didn't want to say because of my age.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

I can understand your concern for painless bloody vaginal discharge. Sometimes this type of discharge or spotting is harmless, but sometimes it may be due to a medical condition. It may be an indication of old, dry blood that came from cervix most probably due to sexual intercourse and irritation of the cervix causing a little tear.

However at your age which is perimenopausal, we need to get certain other possibilities ruled out. These include uterine fibroids, ectopic pregnancy, fluctuation in hormone levels, genital infections and hypothyroidism.

I suggest you to consult a gynecologist and get a pelvic examination done. You also need to get certain investigations like pelvic swab of the discharge, PAP smear, ultrasound uterus and hormones levels done. These investigations will help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. Also do get back with your lab reports. I will be happy to answer your queries.