How to diagnose mild hemorrhoids?

I'm a 19 year old and I think I have a mild hemorrhoid but I'm not sure if it is a hemorrhoid or something else.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
I have seen the image attached. It seems to be a swollen blood vessel or a hemorrhoid.
A hemorrhoid is basically a small swollen blood vessel in the area of the anus. On occasion, these can be triggered by - prolonged sitting, heavy lifting or possibly from anal sexual intercourse.

These are not XXXXXXX or life threatening.

Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, twice daily I'l like you to sit in a warm batch in the bathtub for 20 minutes. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

Next, you can go to any local pharmacy and pick up a tube of preparation H cooling gel. This is a clear gel which you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue.

Again, hemorrhoids are common and not worrisome. Occasionally they can become larger and bleed in which case you will need to consult a surgeon for treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: How to diagnose mild hemorrhoids? 3 minutes later
Ok I thought it was a hemorrhoid after doing research. Could it be anything else? Should I go to my student health services doctor to have it double checked? And will it get worse I have had it for less than a day.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can get it examined by student health services doctor to be very sure about the diagnosis. With proper treatment, the swelling will reduce in size.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.