How to diagnose hiatal hernia?

I thought I had a hiatal hernia, I had all of the symtoms. went to the emergency room and was told I was just dehydrated. then went to the gastro doctor and he said that because of no pain when pressed, it was not a hernia. I mentioned the xiphoid process and he said that the lump I was feeling, was indeed the xiphoid process. how can I be sure? will this lump continue to grow? can I still bench press weights? anything else to be cautious of? thank you for your time
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Investigation can relieve your concern. Detailed Answer: Hello, A hiatal hernia can not be completely ruled out with only clinical examination so you can get investigations like endoscopy or CT scan done.This can surely rule out the hernia.CT scan can help to rule out other causes of lump as well. You can hold on push up till then.Avoid larger meals and physical activity or lying down after meals. Hope this answers your questions.Regards
Follow-up: How to diagnose hiatal hernia? 7 minutes later
the gastro doctor said, after feeling around, that he did not want to do an endoscopy at that time. we did one about 6 months or so ago. I did have a hernia then(its been there for years), but not too serious. when I went to the er, they did chest xrays, but no ct scan. so getting a ct scan is most likely my best option? when u say no physical fitness, does that mean everything? bicycling?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like CT scan would be best option. Detailed Answer: Ct scan also evaluate whether lump is due to some other reason.That would be additional benefit to check status of your hernia. You can perform activities or exercises where you dont have to contract or strain abdominal muscles. Hope this helps.Regards
Follow-up: How to diagnose hiatal hernia? 11 minutes later
I will look into it. I did fail to mention, I do not feel nausea or any of the other symptoms I felt before( a ton of acid reflux with vomiting, difficulty breathing, weakness, dizziness, cold sweats, loss of appetite, & inability to urinate). just a little pressure at the edge of the sternum, every now and then. I know u r unable to physically see me, but in your opinion, since I do not feel those symptoms, would you lean more towards the xiphoid? sorry for taking up your time
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am sorry. Detailed Answer: I am really sorry, but even with additional details I would not be able add anything more to previous answer.
Follow-up: How to diagnose hiatal hernia? 2 minutes later
I understand, especially from a legal point. thank you for your time and information! cheers
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: It was pleasure assisting you. Have a nice day. Do take out time to post positive review.Regards.