How to diagnose asthma?

Very Good morning Sir, I consult my doctor for 3 review & he prescribed TELEKAST F(MONTELUKAST AND FEXOFENADINE TABLETS) one daily at bedtime & BUDETROL 400(FORMOTEROL FUMARATE AND BUDESONIDE POWDER FOR INHALATION) 2 times daily for 20 days .He is saying that your chest is clear & you have to take medicine because it is starting Asthma so chough is generated. Now I want, is there any test which suggest that I have Asthma Problem or should I take 2 opinion from another doctor & in future what type of precaution I have to keep in mind. As of now cough is not frequent, occur only after fooding & drinking hot tea. Regards, XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You seem to be having ashma. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query on HCM. You have not mentioned about the type of symptoms you are having. I presume they are cough and breathlessness. The medicines prescribed to you are of asthma and allergy. You seem to be feeling relieved of your symptoms with medicine. So one can conclude that you could be suffering from asthma. Asthma is mainly a clinical diagnosis. There are hardly any lab tests except that eosinophil % and absolute value may be high. chest x ray is usually normal in an asthmatic. You may go in for a spirometry test also called PFT which may tell you if you have obstruction and how severe it is and if inhalers will be of help. But it may come normal during symptom free periods even if you are a known asthmatic.