How to determine whether to recommend a traditional or nontraditional approach to treatment? Factors considered?

How would you determine whether to recommend a traditional or nontraditional approach to treatment? What factors would you consider? What ethical issues are important to consider in using either type of approach in practice (clinical treatment, research, and so forth)? What would you do if others from different professions challenged your approach based on their ethical principles?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers are as follows

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

The names traditional and non traditional approaches suggest that the traditional are those which have persisted since long and the non-traditional are the newer techniques. Now I understand that when ever a new approach is introduced, it comes only after due research and randomized controlled trials. Only if it is better than the older traditional therapies that the non-traditional approach is introduced. I prefer going for the newer approaches, although there is a majority who would like to stick to the old well proven approaches. At the end of the day its better to offer the treatment choices to the patient and let him take an informed decision.
Some clinical factors could be safety issues. Like for example baclofen is a new drug for reducing craving for alcohol dependence and its safe in patients of liver disease. So I would prefer it over the other traditional options which are not safe in presence of liver disease.
Ones a drug / therapy is approved for use, you are ethically right in trying out on patients. The central caveat of "Do no harm" still holds true while using the newer approaches.
Coming to your last question that what about the people from other specializations who challenge your approach. If they are from different specializations then I am sure they are not updated on the current trends and newer approaches. As long as they dont interfere with your therapies, there is no reason you should bother about. I had some issues while using exclusive cognitive behavioural therapy instead of drugs in a patient of depression with multiple medical issues. The physician was not comfortable and was insisting on drugs. I sent him a few articles supporting my approach, and he was learned enough to keep quite there after. Let the results of your approach explain your rational.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.