How to determine whether the cyst in fallopian tube is beign or malignant?

Mar 2014
My wife has a significant fallopian tube cyst. Is there a test to determine beign or malignant?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis is based on many findings Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for the query I understand that your wife has a fallopian tube tumor and it is cystic. Please remember that most lesions of the fallopian tube are caused due to infections. The tube is blocked and secretions get collected inside giving rise to a mass. Surgeries for contraception [tubal ligation also cause similar conditions] Primary fallopian tube cancer is very rare, in fact it is the rarest of female genital tract cancers. Having said that these are the tests to differentiate between a benign and malignant lesion: 1. A detailed history and gynecologic examination by an expert gynecologist: Cancerous tumors are solid or mixed in consistency on examination, less mobile or fixed, variegated. 2. Radiology like ultrasound, CT and MRI: cancerous tumors are solid or mixed, complex looking, have papillary excrescences, may be attached to other structures, enlarged lymph nodes due to spread of cancer may be visible. 3. Blood test CA 125: it is not very specific meaning that levels may be increased in cancer as well as other non cancerous conditions like endometriosis or liver cancer or ovarian cancer etc. 4. Surgery: to remove the tumor and examine it under microscopy [by frozen section: done during surgery], or complete removal of tumor and uterus and examine it under microscope [histopathological examination]. This is the gold standard as the tumor cells can be actually seen to be benign or malignant. The usual plan of action for similar women in my clinic is a history and examination, followed by ultrasound and CT. If we suspect a malignancy, surgery to remove mass and mass with uterus [depending upon the case] and hisptopathology. If diagnosis favors benign lesion or undetermined , a laparoscopy for diagnosis and further decision based on laparoscopy findings. Since the mass is cystic it suggests it may be benign. A detailed history would be helpful regarding the duration of symptoms if any, and history of fever, vaginal discharge, number of children, family history of cancer etc. I suggest you discuss these with your treating physician and plan further treatment. Hope I was able to help you. Thanks for using Health Care Magic. I would be happy to answer any further queries. Have a nice day. Dr. Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist