How to determine if I have Q fever?

my partner has been working with cows and blood-I am worried he may have q syndrome.he has fever, chills but also pain behind the eyes looking sideways..
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised further consultation with physician... Detailed Answer: Hi, First, please take note that Q fever is an infection disease caused by the bacteria. Coxiella burnetii. The common symptoms include fever and chills, pain and general malaise; while other complains can also be present. To exclude he is having Q-fever, I'd suggest to consult your physician and to run some blood works including complete blood profile and measuring the antibodies levels in order to decide on initiating the proper treatment. The most appropriate treatment include antibiotics, while the antibiotic of choice is doxycycline. At the end, the symptoms of Q fever can be challenging as might be confounded with other infectious diseases associated with high fever. Wish it was of help! Dr.Benard
Follow-up: How to determine if I have Q fever? 13 hours later
Dear Dr Benard I took my partner to A and E and the GP there was very thorough with bloods, urine and chest X-RAYS. He had a temp of 39.5 C .some results came back with inflamed liver, raised white blood cell but not platelet count. On DC he had not ruled out Q fever but did not prescribe doxycycline until I inquired as a preventative for further exacerbation of symptoms. so he then looked up some info and then prescribed on my request. Thanks for your answer. Regards XXXX
Brief Answer: Keep following up with GI for inflamed liver... Detailed Answer: Hi back XXXX, I am glad to know that you had run the appropriate tests and took that your husband started the right treatment. If the blood work did show inflamed liver, I'd suggest to keep following up with the GI specialist in order to determine what is causing inflamed liver. Most possible causes could be: - inflammation due to pesticides or chemicals he uses while doing farm works - hepatitis (A,B,C) - alcohol consumption Wish fast recovery to your husband! Dr.Benard