How to deal with agoraphobia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
how can I go about dealing with and curing agoraphobia?.....
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can take antidepressent drugs Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Patient with agoraphobia usually need immediate treatment. You need to consult your doctor, who would do your complete physical examination especially if you have one of the following symptoms - - if the symptoms are so severe that you believe medication may be needed. - If the symptoms are interfering with your personal, social, or professional life. - if you have chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, palpitations, dizziness, fainting spells, or unexplained weakness. - if you are depressed and feel suicidal or homicidal. You doctor may advise you treatment in the form of psychotherapy that focuses on decreasing negative, anxiety-provoking, or other self-defeating thoughts and behaviors. Your doctor may also advise you anti-depressant medications e.g sertraline, paroxetine and fluoxetine etc. At-last I would like to say that, you should not treat yourself without consulting any doctor. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: How to deal with agoraphobia? 14 minutes later
yes I feel depressed unmotivated and anxiety while leaving far from the house....

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need physical examination by your doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query again. Since you have mentioned that you feel depressed unmotivated and anxiety while leaving far from the house. This means you definitely need to get physically examined by doctor who will advise you psychotherapy, anti-depressant medications as I have already explained to you previously. Please do not take medicine without prescription of a doctor because only doctor who would do your physical examination would advise you about the medicines and psychotherapy. You can educate yourself about your condition, possible lifestyle changes you can make, and self-help techniques to help relieve symptoms. Try to focus on slow, deep breathing while counting slowly to three on each breath in and out. Breathing techniques are available in Indian yoga too. You should try to resist the urge to run to a place of safety during a panic attack. Try to work out what it is you fear and challenge it. So next time whenever you would leave far from home try not to feel anxious about the journey. Do regular exercise, eating a healthy and balanced diet, avoiding using drugs and alcohol, avoiding drinks that contain caffeine, such as tea, coffee or cola etc. Do yoga it will definitely help you. You should daily pray to God. Believe in god and trust your doctor. At-last I would like to say that, you should not treat yourself without consulting any doctor. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: How to deal with agoraphobia? 12 hours later
I'm very faithful... In god mainly my heart is spiritually in touch with the lord.... I just feel unmotivated,scared to be around people and talk to them,taking chances like leaving my comfort zone, very anxious for apointments can't wait very impatient..... scared to go out at night and be alone.... I've started to try to take rescue remedy Bach flowers I wonder if they really work....

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You need physical examination by your doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query again. My friend, bach flower remedy may or may not work for you, because it works only in few patients. But if you have already spent money on it then, you can give it a try. But still I would like to say that please do not take medicine without prescription of a doctor because only doctor who would do your physical examination would advise you about the medicines and psychotherapy. You should try to resist the urge to run to a place of safety during a panic attack. Try to work out what it is you fear and challenge it. So next time whenever you would leave far from home try not to feel anxious about the journey. Do regular exercise, eating a healthy and balanced diet, avoiding using drugs and alcohol, avoiding drinks that contain caffeine, such as tea, coffee or cola etc. Do yoga it will definitely help you. You should daily pray to God. Believe in god and trust your doctor. At-last I would like to say that, you should not treat yourself without consulting any doctor. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.