How to deal with HBS Ag+ve in blood ?

Question
I have donated blood and they have sent a letter to me saying i was detected with HBS Ag+ve, And asked me to not donate blood, Can you Provide me Guideline howto deal with this and what are its symptoms and effects on body
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Hepatitis B is of two types. It is of two types:acute and chronic. The acute illness causes liver inflammation, vomiting, jaundice and, rarely, death. cirrhosis and liver cancer. Acute infection with hepatitis B virus is associated with acute viral hepatitis – an illness that begins with general ill-health, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, body aches, mild fever, and dark urine, and then progresses to development of jaundice.

Chronic infection with hepatitis B virus either may be asymptomatic or may be associated with a chronic inflammation of the liver (chronic hepatitis), leading to cirrhosis over a period of several years. This type of infection dramatically increases the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma.

If you have been diagnosed with hepatitis B, then you need to discuss the treatment options with your physician. Acute hepatitis B infection does not usually require treatment because most adults clear the infection spontaneously.

Chronically infected individuals with persistently elevated serum alanine aminotransferase, a marker of liver damage, and HBV DNA levels are candidates for therapy. So you should get your serum alanine aminotransferase levels done.

Regularly measuring the amount of HBV DNA in the blood gives your physician a good idea of how fast the virus is multiplying. The treatments now in use are classified as antiviral drugs. If the levels are increasing then you may need these drugs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How to deal with HBS Ag+ve in blood ? 1 hour later
I have Done HBV DNA with viral load once (count was >10^7 )and then Doing LFT every 3 months. The SGPT count is constant and is arround 58. I have consulted with Gastroenterologist and he suggest to perform LFT every 3 months.

I want to know what could be the symptoms if the Count goes high

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 hours later
Thanks for writing back to me.

If the SGPT levels are not changing then nothing else other than reinvestigating the LFT's after every 3 months needs to be done.

If there is a rise in LFT's then you may need treatment with antiviral drugs or interferons. As mentioned earlier, if there is a rise in LFT's then you may show symptoms related to liver disease like loss of appetite, fatigue, malaise, body aches, mild fever, and dark urine.

Follow-up: How to deal with HBS Ag+ve in blood ? 2 minutes later
Thanks Doctor Appreciate your detailed replies.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for your kind words and writing back to me.

In case you have any additional queries, then please do write to us.

Regards.