How to cure stool leakage problem after bowel movement?

After I have a bowel movement I notice that several minutes later I have a small amount of leakage, as though I didn't get it all. This happens every time I have a bowel movement.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try to sit a ittle longer after bowel movement. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I so sorry to hear about this rather embarrassing stool leakage that you have been experiencing. I would imagine what the consequences would be if something like this were to happen in the public. From the information you have provided, I would want to imagine that for some reasons all the stool is not expelled during the bowel movement. This could be either because you do not dedicate much time for this or because of some other problem that we cannot tell right now without further evaluation. To address this problem, I will suggest that you start by dedicating more time than you have been doing each time you go for bowel movement. This is to make sure that everything gets out before you leave. If after doing this for 3-5days the problem is not addressed, then I will suggest that you meet with your doctor and get investigated for fecal incontinence. Fecal incontinence is the involuntary leakage of fecal matter through the anus. It is however uncommon that fecal incontinence would present only after having been to the toilet. This is not typical of this disease process. I will also like to suggest that you often take special care like getting a pant liner just in case something like this happened out of home. A few question for you. Are there times this happens without you going to the toilet? What is the nature of the stool that comes out? Is it solid or mucus? Do you have any recent changes in the consistency of your stool? Do you have any difficulties controlling your urine? These would help us better understand what is going on. Thank you so much for using our services and I do hope that the above information address your query fully and is guiding enough. Please, do feel free to ask me for clarification and more information if need be. I wish you the best of possible outcome with this condition. Dr. Ditah, MD