How to cure side effects of Metropolol taken for migraine treatment?

I was treated for migraine headaches with Metropolol. Stopped using it after slowly weaning off of it because of the side effects. It's been 3 weeks since I stopped and I still have the side effects. These are asthmatic-like symptoms, chest discomfort, tightness, difficulty catching my breath, wheezing, phlegm build-up, fatigue, lack of stamina just walking and any kind of exersize as well as unusual weight gain. Now I am bloated everywhere especially ankles, legs and abdomen, face. I was given an inhaler to use to ease the symptoms which helps but the symptoms persist. What can I expect or do to make it better?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a doctor for futher evaluation as advised Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The details suggest that it was not merely a side effect of Metoprolol, but either, aggravation/emergence of an underlying condition (such as, undiagnosed heart disease-with possible right-side heart failure; undetected high blood pressure; a thyroid problem; or, a viral infection of the lungs.) Further, a long-term course (6-12 months) of a combination of a of Tricyclic Anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety drug (such as clonazepam or alprazolam) will cure migraine attacks. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal