How to cure red blotchy areas around the corners of mouth ?

Hi.....My name is XXXXXXX ....I have red blotchy areas around the corners of my mouth and chin I have tried ringworm medicine
and medicine for cold sores...nothing seems to work.....
the red blotchy areas are about the size of a fifty cent piece on both sides of my mouth and chin......any ideas?
i am 5ft 6 , 48 yrs old and i weigh 262......
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for the query,

It seems that you might be suffering with ANGULAR CHEILITIS or ANGULAR STOMATITIS, and this is a chronic inflammatory condition, which may occur because of various reasons.

It may be because of either of the following reasons :
- fungal infection & bacterial infection (secondary)
- nutritional deficiency esp vitamin riboflavin (B2)
- malnutrition
- constant vomiting
- ill fitting dentures or constant salivation at angles of mouth.
- side effect of medicines like isotretinoin.

Even the chin lesions could be a part of the same and the treatment depends upon the cause.

As I don't know the anti fungal you have tried, but oral fluconazole works good in this. This should be included with antibiotic if there seems to a bacterial infection.

If that hasn't worked then you should take a long course of vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex enriched with zinc and iron.

Other nutritional factors need to be seen, and if you feel there are any of the above causes then that should be worked upon.

Since its a chronic problem I would advice you to get examined by a dermatologist for proper medications and advice.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up query if any. I would be happy to answer them.