How to cure lymph nodes in the breasts ?

Hello, I have two left axillary lymph nodes that have fluctuated in size on ultrasound for the past two years. What might cause the lymph nodes to do this?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
It's not uncommon for lymph nodes to occasionally fluctuate in size over time. What is important to establish is the context in which this is occurring. I would like to know and confirm that you have had blood tests which show no abnormalities in your hemoglobin or white blood cell count. Some blood disorders can cause lymph node swelling.

In addition, I would like to confirm that you have had regular screening mammograms to make sure there is no risk of problems with the breast. This would also help rule out any underlying issues which could cause lymph node swelling.

Finally, some physicians might advocate a biopsy of one of the nodes. This is usually an excisional biopsy where the node is simply removed and analyzed by a pathologist. I would discuss this in detail with your physician.

The fact that you have had swelling which has not really progressed and it has been 2 years - is reassuring. I hope I have helped you with an informative response. I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How to cure lymph nodes in the breasts ? 43 hours later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX

This is very helpful. I have had routine bloodwork done such as a CBC which only shows anemia. Also, I have had yearly mammograms which only show fibrocystic breast disease. I will follow up to find out if I need to have a node removed and analyzed.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 36 minutes later

It's my pleasure to provide you with advice here.

One last thing, I would want to make sure your physicians have thoroughly worked up your anemia to identify a cause or explanation. Mild anemia is not uncommon, but we want to rule out any of the more rare causes of anemia which your doctors can test for with labs or possibly a colonoscopy or a gynecologic workup if it is attributed to uterine bleeding with menses.

Again, I hope this is helpful to you and I wish you continued optimal health!