How to cure acute gastroenteritis ?

I am 51 years old and night before last I woke up with a queesy feeling in my stomach and cramps I expelled in the morning at least four times soft but no diahreah. Last night I had a bad night with cramps again and queesy, I went a little this morning and felt better. I have been eating lightly, chicken rice soup and applesauce and toast, i still have cramps and now cant seem to be able to pass gass or go to the bathroom even though I feel like it. I also take enzyme supplements with my meals, which I started taking about 1 and half weeks ago....
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: How to cure acute gastroenteritis ? 3 minutes later
I no longer have nausea today, but still have cramps not always present they come and go, i can be a few hours without any. It seems to be more severe after I eat. I am unable for the time being go to the bathroom or expell gas, but i can belch because I am drinking ginger ale.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later
Hi Jocelyne,

From your signs and symptoms it seems that you are possibly suffering from Acute gastroenteritis by which you have pain in abdomen, frequency of stool and nausea.

As your stool is not much loose and quantity is also less it may be due to infection either viral, bacterial or amoebic.

Your problem should subside in 48 to 72 hours after its onset. If your trouble persists even after that you can go for stool test for type of infection and treatment accordingly.

Meanwhile you can take Over the counter antispasmodic tablet (Dicyclomine or Simethicone) and rehydrate with plenty of fluids orally (ORS in pharmacy).

With regards.