How to cure abdominal bloating, gas and irregular bowel movement?

Question
Hi, I have a strange problem. I have too much of gas formation at all times which makes my stomach bloat. This results in me visiting the toilet too often. Also, I pass stools atleast 3 times every day. Is there a concern?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need some more details... Detailed Answer: Hi, Abdominal bloating and recurring stools can be a sign of infection if the symptoms are recent in onset. But if this is a long time condition, it may need probing. Therefore please provide additional details such as: 1. Since how long has this problem been? 2. Do you pass watery stool or is your stool well formed? 3. Do you experience abdominal cramps? 4. Are you losing weight? 5. Do you have nausea/vomiting? 6. Any other details about your past medical complaints? Awaiting your reply... Regards

Follow-up: How to cure abdominal bloating, gas and irregular bowel movement? 17 minutes later
Hello Doctor, This has been a long time problem, having this for atleast 2 years. The additional details requested by you are below: 1. Since how long has this problem been? - about 2 years 2. Do you pass watery stool or is your stool well formed? - Well formed 3. Do you experience abdominal cramps? - No 4. Are you losing weight? - No 5. Do you have nausea/vomiting? - I suffer from agoraphobia. Hence, during travel/stuck in traffic, I feel slight nausea. 6. Any other details about your past medical complaints? - I have had anxiety attacks in the past and was treated minorly in 2007. The condition was gone but reappeared this year.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need evaluation... Detailed Answer: Hi, At the outset, the symptoms seem to be related to irritable bowel. However in the back ground of anxiety, I think you need to be evaluated before labelling this as irritable bowel. 1. Anxiety per se has by itself known to cause loose stool. Therefore if you suffer from anxiety issues throughout the day, you might consider getting that checked. 2. Thyroid abnormality especially hyperthyroid issues will be the next thing that I would like to rule out. Hyperthyroidism is known to increase bowel movement. It can also cause anxiety. Therefore if you haven't checked your thyroid hormones in the recent past, it is time to get it checked now. 3. Food allergies and malabsorption is in line next. I would test your stool samples and liver and digestive enzymes. In brief, what you describe is a symptoms that is not uncommon. However i feel you deserve to be evaluated further. You can consult a gastroenterologist who can take you through the tests. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards