How to convince a psychosis patient to meet a doctor for treatment?

Hi, I would like to know how to ask a psychosis patient who has strong belief that his normal, to see doctor for proper treatment.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 41 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in current dilemma.

I do not if diagnosis of psychosis is made by medical person. The first symptom of psychosis is loss of awareness regarding being ill. It is frequent problem that person with psychosis do not seek consultation easily.

Although there is no guideline regarding how to bring these patient in treatment, but following are usual methods in practice by family members to bring them in treatment:
-Forceful consultation
-Meet doctor without patient and get prescription of medicine. Start treatment without knowledge of patient. When patient become well, bring him to the doctor.
-Call doctor for home visit
-If patient refuse taking medicines: give medicine in food or drinks. Treatment with long acting injection which needed once in 2-4 weeks

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.