How to control thyroid apart from medicine?

How i can control thyroid apart from medicine?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Please state the exact thyroid problem you have been diagnosed with?

Is it some of the most common ones, like hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?

Let me list the alternative treatment, other than medication, that has been published and documented after many years of research; i.e. diet.

Hyperthyroidism (an over-active thyroid): Diet plays an important role in patients diagnosed to have hyperthyroidism as there is a significant amount of weight loss. International research recommends the following:
-Increased calorie intake
-Increased amount of proteins in your diet (helps maintain muscle strength, shape and size)
-Increase number of meals
-Smaller size of meals but to include meat, dairy food, etc.
-Avoid fatty food
-Eating green leafy vegetables
-Calcium XXXXXXX food or supplements (1000 mg of calcium is recommended per day, but as you do not wish to take any tablets or capsules, you can substitute this with a calcium XXXXXXX diet)
-Vitamin D XXXXXXX diet or supplements (600 units per day is recommended)

Hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) can similarly be controlled to a certain extent with dietary modifications:
-Reduce fiber in your diet
-Reduce or eliminate caffeine
-Increase protein (as protein transports thyroid hormone and delivers it to tissues, so this greatly contributes in normalizing the thyroid hormone requirement and supply)
-Reduce sugar to bare minimum
-Increase the amount of fat in your diet as fat helps in the normal functioning of thyroid hormone production, thus try healthy fats like that available in nuts, nut butter, fish, flax seeds, avocados, etc.
-Avoid gluten (as gluten can take up thyroid hormone, and prevent its delivery to the required tissues and also reduce the overall level in the body)
-Avoid food that can cause an imbalance in normal thyroid hormone production (i.e. goitrogens). Eg. spinach, peaches, cauliflower, peanuts, soybeans, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli, turnips, radishes, etc.
-Increase nutrients which aid by controlling symptoms of hypothyroidism. Eg. vitamin D, zinc, vitamin A, copper, iodine, iron, etc.
-Add probiotics to your diet as they help in regulating the thyroid, and thus can help in normalizing a thyroid deficiency to a large extent
-Increase antioxidants in your diet that boost the immune system to promote normal functioning of the thyroid
-Practice relaxation techniques, as overall stress effects the normal production of thyroid hormones
-Treat and address any inflammation in the body as this also effects normal functioning of the thyroid

I hope this information helps. I have tried to make my response as helpful and informative as possible. Do let me know if you have any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

I wish you lots of luck in controlling your thyroid levels and a beautiful life ahead.
Take care XXXXXXX