How to control itching in winter season?

Hello Doctor, During winter season my skin starts etching and its very difficult to control, once after that it starts burning. May i know what is the reason and how do i need to control it. Thank You XXXX
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Winter itching Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now your concern seems total that of excessive itching during winters. I would like to know about it in some more detail from you. There can be many reasons for such a presentation. I would like to know if there are any associated skin lesions also. Is there any development of hives? Any other redness of skin? Do the skin lesions develop only in winters? What are the sites where the skin lesions develop? If there are any skin lesions, please click some close up pictures of the same and upload them here on this page. You can also mail then at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also tell me since what time do you have this problem I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide of the above details. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: How to control itching in winter season? 51 minutes later
Any other redness of skin? Yes after so much of itching the skin becomes reddish in color. I have observed this very closely it happens only during winter season.
Brief Answer: Xerosis skin Detailed Answer: Hi again You seem to be having excessive xerosis of skin. Now this tends to increase and cause problems every year in winters. You should first of all avoid bath with very hot water. Keep your skin hydrated by applying excess moisturizers and oils. After taking bath, mix zydip lotion with Vaseline lotion and apply over body especially over the areas where there is excess itching. Use oil over body once a day . You can use any oil other than mustard oil. Take tablet levocetrizine once a day for atleast ten days along. Use a mild soap like dove for taking bath. It will prevent excess loss of oil from skin. You can use something like a cetaphil cleanser for face. Do not use harsh soaps like dettol. Hope it helps Please ask if you have any other query Dr Geetika Paul