How to control aggressive behavior in children?

Hi Doctor, My Son aged 4 is behaving agressively for the last few months. The agression is growing day by day and for the last few days we were surprised that he gets angry very early and then starts crying loudly and throws up things crushing his teeth beating his mom and younger daughter. Initially we thought it is routine like any other children as they become naughty as they grow up. But now the agression is growing so much that he does this everyday. He has developed a rebellion attitude and says no to whatever his mom/ me says. And if u force him to do something like eat, study, etc then he becomes violent. We are amazed to see such behaviour in any child and are a little worried. Seek your advice on this as to whether it is a normal behaviour with any child of this age or we should show him to some child psychologist / psychiatrist and get the same checked. regards XXXX
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 30 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. This kind of behavior is sometimes seen in toddlers. There could be many reasons for this like -- -sibling rivalry -school environment. -any underlying condition which is frustrating him. I suggest you to do following things. -try to be patient with him.Never scold him as this will potentiate his aggresive nature.. -spend some time with him like playing with him. -divert his attention like engaging him in some constructive activity of his choice. -do not let him sit idle. -engage him in taking care if little one. -talk to his teachers is anything in school anoying him. Appreciate him for his good behavior by giving incentives like taking him out for drive/telling stories/giving him his favourite toy or food.This will act as positive reinforcement. You have to be loving and patient and slowly you will see change in him Hope I have answered your query,let me know if I can help you further. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...
Follow-up: How to control aggressive behavior in children? 2 days later
Dear Dr Synthyia, Thanks for your advice & suggestions. I shall try to apply the same and share the feedback with you. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Yes definitely in due course of time his behavior will improve. Wishing you and your family good health. Take care..