How to confirm biological siblings based on blood group?

I have a question about my blood type. My biological sisters are both O+ and I am AB+ - can they be my biological sisters? My mom said she and my father were both O+ and then said she wasn't sure. My father has passed away. My nieces and nephews are all O+. My children are A+ and B+ - their father is O+. So my kids match up to what they should be, but I am not understanding how I can be related to my sisters. Just curious. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be biological siblings or not; possibilities Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I would like to start by saying that, you could request your mother to get a blood grouping done, which would explain quite a lot. Because, we cannot assume her blood group and then worry about whether or not your are her biological child, as this is something life-changing. Let me explain: 1. If you and your sisters are biological: Then one of your parent should belong to the blood group 'A', and the other to the blood group 'B'. As the prodigy of such a match would result in the following possible blood groups: A, B, AB or O 2. If you and your sisters are not biological: Only then either or both of your parents would belong to the blood group 'O' So, as you see, it would not be right to assume your mother's blood group. It is best we get it checked and then find the conclusion for the same. I understand your curiosity, and am only here to help you clear that. :) I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: How to confirm biological siblings based on blood group? 28 minutes later
Thank you for your response. My mother has indicated that both she and my father are O+. My nieces and nephews from my sisters are also O+. Can my parents both be O+ and have 2 O+ children and one AB+ child?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer: That scenario is unlikely ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. I understand your concern, but it is not possible for both parents belonging to the blood group 'O' to have a child belonging to the blood group 'AB'. For this reason I requested you to get your mother's blood grouping done, as she herself was not sure and it is best to confirm her blood group before jumping to conclusions ma'am. Hope I have explained this in a manner best understood by you. Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime, I am always available to help. Best wishes.