How to check for liver cirrhosis?

Apr 2014

I have high liver enzymes. I have been a heavy drinker for 45 years and now have fatty liver. My Dr. is unaware of my drinking history. I have a large stomach for my 5'3", 135 Lbs. I have, as of today, stopped drinking but worry about cirrhosis now. I had a sonagram to determine the fatty liver - 3 months ago.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yo can have elastography. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It is great that you have stopped drinking. Cirrhosis is confirmed by many other indicators in Ultrasound like coarse echotexture,shrunken size,irregular surface etc.It is also associated with ascitis in advance stage. Your case is most probably not related to cirrhosis. You can have fresh Ultrasound of abdomen with elastography.Elastography is related to elastic nature of liver cells which is altered due to prolong alcohol intake and if its score is high then there is more propensity of liver cells to convert into cirrhosis. Fatty liver is reversible stage and it can be reversed by changing life style and diet. You should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc. You should avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and fatty food and should take lot of vegetables and fruits in your diet. You can take medicines for high liver enzymes.You will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX