How to check for chronic kidney disease?

Dear Sir, Kindly check my medical history, My Present Medical History: I have undergone Blood Test, Urine test and ultrasound on 16th December 2013, inorder to know any complications in Kidney and my doctor gave me report stating everything is absolutely normal and under control limits and no evidence of calculus. I was a staunch alcoholic from 2008-2012 and has been diagnosed with Grade 1 Fatty Liver. My present symptoms: (1) Sometimes i feel a slight muscle ache on my kidney area which i feel revealed when i use to lie on bed or twist my body. (2) I use to drink a lot of water, if water level is reduced due to exertion by exercise or walking, my urine will be slight to partially dark yellowish colour with a burning sensation. My Specific Questions: (1) Do i am proceeding towards a Chronic Kidney Disease which is progressing slowly. (2) As at the time of this incidence in 2003, neither my doctor nor me were able to come on a conclusion because ultrasound was not possible due to water retention and IVP X-ray was not possible due to Gastritis at that time. Later as the symptoms subsided, so i didnt bothered also. As per your opinion, upto what extent might be the damage happened to kidneys at that time and is it reversible. Looking forward for you kind advice and suggestions.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Progression of CKD Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX You have not given any blood reports to assess the kidney function therefore i cannot comment at the level of kidney disease you have. The symptoms described by you do not suggest any kidney disease. The pain described is more like a musculoskeletal pain rather then a renal pain. Color of urine cannot suggest extent or renal failure. You should get your-- Serum Creatinine level, GFR estimation. Ultrasound for kidney size and echotexture, Urine routine and microscopy. If all above tests are normal you can rest assured that kidneys are OK. You do have a past history of kidney disease and therefore you may be having some residual damage. this can be picked up on DTPA scan for differential function. Ans 1. so to comment that you are progressing to CKD- we need to have serial reports of serum creatinine and GFR and see if they are worsening or not.- kindly provide the reports. Ans 2. If any reversal of damage has to occur it would have occurred with one month following the illness. After that whatever damage is there it will either remain same or slowly progress . this can only be established by serial testing at least once every 3 months . Best wishes.