How to check for Thyroid problem?

Not really, I have an appointment with my Doctor this afternoon who says my Thyroid is o.k. I know it is not and I hope to convince him for more tests and prescribing a natural hormone like Armour Thyroid or such. Wish me luck. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lots of luck; list of other tests you can request Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I wish you all the luck you need and more to convince your doctor to perform more investigations and also to convince him to prescribe medications which you feel might help you, or at least explain the pros and cons of all the medications available so you can make an informed choice. I would like to provide you with some extra information which you can discuss with your doctor to help prove your point. They are tests that can be conducted on the thyroid to prove its abnormal functioning: 1. TFT: Thyroid function test includes checking of hormones TSH, T3 and T4. This is the most basic and reliable test available 2. TPO: Thyroid per oxidase levels 3. Tg antibodies 4. Free Ts Although option one is the best indicator and gold standard. Apart from these, an ultrasound examination can also be conducted to further prove its function/abnormality. I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.