How to calm down a fast heart rate from acid reflux or GERD?

General Surgeon
Question
What can I do to calm down a fast heart rate? I thibk its from acid reflux or GERD.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Magnesium 400 mg, carotid sinus massage.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

What do you mean by fast heart rate? Is it higher than 100/min?
Acid reflux does not cause accelerated heart rate. It can indicate heart disease (even heart attack, arrhythmia), lungs disease, inflammation, ions deficiency, low blood pressure, stress, coffee overuse.
The treatment of it depends of the reason.
If you are certain that this is not anything serious like heart issue, you may try Magnessium 400 mg supplementation, drink more mineral water. Massage of the carotid sinus (in the middle of the neck, where the arteries are palpable) can also slow heart rate down. However you should not do it if you have any arteries disease.

You should visit your doctor and have some tests done. Blood work, ions level, thyroid tests, heart ECG, chest X-ray should be checked at first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: How to calm down a fast heart rate from acid reflux or GERD? 11 minutes later
Well my hesrt rate was 87 and then it goes up go 90 ans maybe 103. The other day it was as high as 135. But my EKG came out normal along with all of my blood count and thyroid test.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardiologist should be consulted.

Detailed Answer:
Your heart rate is not typical indeed. EKG is just a basic test. If all tests are negative, Holters 24 hours EKG, heart ultrasound and stress test should be done next. This tests should be ordered after cardiologist consult. He may also give you some medicines called beta-blockers.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: How to calm down a fast heart rate from acid reflux or GERD? 1 minute later
Okay thank. In the meantime is there anything i can do or take that may calm it down a little?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Like I have mentioned before, Magnesium 400 mg once a day and more mineral water. Please avoid coffee, do no drink too much tea.

Regards.

Follow-up: How to calm down a fast heart rate from acid reflux or GERD? 0 minute later
Thank you.

Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.