How to calculate exact date of delivery?

Apr 2014

Good afternoon, I have a question, I’m constantly thinking about it, I am 23 weeks pregnant with my daughter. My due date is 04/10/13. I had my LMP in July right around the 15th until the 17th I had one day of normal bleeding and a day or two of pretty light bleeding/spotting, I was dieting pretty strictly and so stressed out about my upcoming wedding, I didn’t think the light period was odd. Because my husband is in the Military, There is only so many days we could have conceived. The first date would be: July 4th in the morning. I took Plan B the evening of the 5th, as I was trying to find a different birth control method at that time, and we did not use any. I was with my Husband again, July 18th through the 23rd, where conception could have happened any of those days. I got a positive pregnancy test August 20th 2013. Based off my LMP my OBGYN placed my due date: 04/21/13. I went in for my first ultra sound, at what we thought was 12 weeks 1 day. This was October 8th. At that visit they determined I was actually 13 weeks 5 days, and they changed my due date to: 04/10/13. I went in: 11/12/13. For my second ultrasound, where my due date did not change. I was told I conceived around: 07/20/13 which makes sense, but based off my LMP it means I would have had to ovulate early, and 11 days is a very large difference. I went in 12/11 for my third ultrasound at 22 weeks 6 days, My daughter was measuring at about 1 pound 3 ounces only slight below average for 23 weeks. Im nervous, because I know my first ultrasound wasnt done within the first 12 weeks, While my regular doctor and ultrasound tech told me, it really is very unlikely I conceived around the 4th of July, and that 14-16 days between possible conception dates is more than enough time to determine accurate gestational age, I saw another doctor yesterday (my regular doctor was in labor) and she told me at 13 weeks it could be off by more than 2 weeks. That made me lose sleep! Could my due date be around: 03/27/13?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I think your calculation is right. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You don't worry at all.Expected date of delivery determined by Ultrasound can vary up to 1-2 weeks. Exact date can only be determined by LMP if lady has regular periods. Ovulation occurs on 14 day of period counting from 1st day of last menstrual period.Though no day is considered 100% safe for pregnancy,maximum chances are between 14th-23rd day.Sperms can be viable up to 4-5 days in female genital tract so pregnancy is possible even if sex is done 4-5 days before the expected date of ovulation. Ultrasound accuracy depends upon fetal development.If there is any growth retardation it may vary. I think your calculation is right and there may be error in your first USG. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX