How to build immunity in children?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello doctor, Please provide some tips for developing immunity in children. Suggets some food which are good for improving immunity. Also provide some tips for making children to eat properly. My daughter 5 yrs old and son 1.5 yrs old are not eating properly. They are not feeling hungry even for long time. Even if i wait for them to ask for food, they are not asking. when they skip one meal, they atleast eat better sometimes the next meal. But only sometimes. If i follow this, they will skip one meal per day. Please provide some tips.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. 1. To improve immunity try giving plenty of vegetables and fruits and healthy home made snacks. Avoid fried and fast foods and chocolates. Yearly influenza vaccine is essential to combat viral illnesses. 2. To make them eat better try giving appetizers along with iron supplements. Avoid force feeding. 3. If they are active and if the height is adequate for their age ( send me their heights and weights ), do not worry. It will improve especially if you follow dining together as family. Let them eat on their own from a plate. 4. Try deworming if not done already every 6 months. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: How to build immunity in children? 42 minutes later
Thanks for your response. My daughter is 5 years old. But still she is not eating on her own. Her mother is feeding her. Though it is going on like a war for every meal. She watches tv or play during meal time. Rarely, she eats quietly. The quantity she eats also seem to be less. How to make her to eat on her own? If we ask her to eat on her own, she simply sit or play with food for long time. Is it ok to leave her if she does not eat on her own? I afraid if this will become like irregular food time habit. Or should we feed her then? Her height and weight are seem to be ok. She is active too. Her weight is 17 kg. my concern is make her to eat properly on her own. We are doing force feeding only most of the times Her brother 1.5 yrs old is also having same problem. His weight is little less than normal. He is 9.5 kg. What kind of iron supplements can be given? Or What type of foods can be given for getting iron? .
Answered by Dr. Arun 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give plenty of time never force feed Detailed Answer: Hi again You need to provide plenty of time for her to eat on her own even if this results in irregular food habit. Kids need to enjoy mealtime. Some kids usually start eating on their own when they start eating lunch at school etc. For your younger one, his weight is within normal limits. Give him dates, jaggery, meat if it's ok. Give him iron supplement like hemsi pd drops 1ml once daily. Iron fortified cerelac can also be given. Green vegetables are rich in iron.