How to apply Clop ointment on my son suffering from alopecia totalis?

Please tell me how to apply Clop ointment. My son is suffering from alopesia and has no hairs on his head. We are looking for expert who can advice us on how this ointment should be applied and for how long I On the effected surface. XXXX
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clop not preferable for alopecia totalis Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I have read your query and understood the concern for your son. You have mentioned that your son is having alopecia totalis along with thyroid disorder and high IgE levels. These all fall under a common category of autoimmune disorders. In alopecia totalis , i usually recommend steroid pulse therapy alongwith mild topical steroids. Clop is a potent steroid preferably not to be applied on such large surface area specially in a 8 year old child. If at all if otherwise clop is indicated, it has to be applied once daily in the possible minimum amount. With such details, this is my best advice for you. If you have any further query, you may ask me. Good luck.
Follow-up: How to apply Clop ointment on my son suffering from alopecia totalis? 56 minutes later
We are scared with steroids as we have heard issues like impacting immunity of children. That is the reason we did not resort to steroid. If it is safe for a child of this age, please do let us know. Secondly, wanted to know what is this treatment exactly. Is it oral or external application or injection therapy. Do you recommend anyone in Pune who can be of help on this subject.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Alopecia totalis and its treatment Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome again. Alopecia totalis that is hair loss involving whole of scalp is an indication for starting oral steroids. You are correct , steroids if used injudiciously and for prolonged periods specially in growing child may hinder the normal growth of child . But if used correctly and for correct indication, its a wonderful drug. For alopecia totalis, i usually recommend oral pulse steroid therapy that is given twice a week with dosage depending on the weight of child. Alongwith topical stimulants for hair growth are adviced like topical steroids/folica hair tincture. But i will strongly advice you to take these treatments under supervision only by visiting doctor so that time to time evaluation of child can be done. Pune is a well developed city, you will definitely find a good doctor there. I don't know any doctor personally there. I have found him on HealthcareMagic. Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Skin n Surgery international, Above Natural's icecream, left to karve statue, near kothrud bus stand, karve road , kothrud, pune. Ph: 0000 I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have further query, you may ask me. I will be happy to help you further. Else you may kindly close the discussion and rate it. Good luck.