How soon can sex be resumed after atrial fibrillation? Arrythmia under control with medication, ankle edema

Cardiologist, Interventional
How soon may a 74 year old man resume sexual activity following his first afillibration experience. His arethmea is under control with medication. He has 40% lung capacity, some edema in the ankles and psorsis of the liver. His medications are 81 mg aspirin, lipator, pradaxa, metoprolol and amiodrone.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

If the Atrial Fibrillation is under control with medicines, there is no harm in resuming sexual activity. This is assuming that the patient was sexually active before the event and had no problems associated with this. However, it must be remembered that there are some risks associated with this.

The changes in blood pressure, heart rate and respiration associated with the sexual act may trigger another episode of A-fib.

Pradaxa is an oral anti-coagulant drug. It prevents the blood from clotting. Hence, while having sex, it is essential to ensure that there is no injury or abrasion as the bleeding may take a while to stop.

Metoprolol is a selective beta blocker which also lowers the heart rate. Most people do have sex without any problems, but some people do find some difficulty in maintaining erection and some have impotence as a result.

The other concern is about the lung problem. Since there is significant lung disease and this is certainly not being helped by the continuation of smoking, the patient might experience shortness of breath while having sex.

I would also like to point out that in the presence of liver disease, especially cirrhosis of the liver, continuation of alcohol consumption may also be detrimental to health.

I hope this answers your query. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to contact me again.

With regards,