How soon after intercourse can I get pregnant?

How soon after having sex can you get pregnate
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

After having intercourse, if it is near the time of ovulation, fertilization happens in 48 hours and then implantation happens after 7 days.

To detect the pregnancy, you can get a blood test done for serum HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) levels detection as soon as 10 days after ovulation. To detect the pregnancy by urine test- using home pregnancy test kit, you need to wait till your periods are overdue by at least five days.

To prevent the pregnancy it is best to take an emergency contraceptive pill within 24 hours of having an unsafe sex to prevent fertilization.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.