How soon after giving birth will it be safe to try for another baby?

Mar 2016

i gave birth 26th october 2012, 15th november periods had stooped, unfortunately our baby passed away. My period has started agin 30th january 2013, would really like another baby, when would i be most fertile again?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Welcome to health care magic. It is very sad to me to hear that type of news.

Here, I am trying to give your answer as follows:

As your period is started on 30th January, then expected due date will be around 28th February if period becomes regular. So, you will ovulate around 14th February and your most fertile days will be from 11th to 17th February. In this time period, you need to do unprotected sex regularly for high chance of being pregnant. You may use ovulation prediction kit (OPK) to predict ovulation time on those days.

Do some basic things also to improve fertility:

1) Take healthy diet with avoidance of fatty/spicy one. Vitamin-E & folic acid supplements are essential in preconception period.
2) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fruits.
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Please accept my answer if you do not have other query.

Wish you for good health and successful motherhood once again.

Dr Soumen, OBGYN
Follow-up: How soon after giving birth will it be safe to try for another baby? 2 days later
Thank you for your reply, i believe i am now ending my period which is seven days long, and was like that prior too previous pregnancy. Do those date you gave me still stand?

Also my daughter passed away 18 january 2013, she was 12 weeks old, she was in special care for 10 days as slightly premature and 10 days at home before she became ill, then 8 weeks in hospital, she was diagnosed with Eneterovirus meningitis, not sure if your able too answer, but im hoping if i do have another baby whats the likelyhood of our baby catching this? Your help appreciated.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 40 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Actually, ovulation occurs approx 14 days before next due date and pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sex. Therefore, if your LMP is 30th January, then next cycle will start on 27th Feb-1st March in case of 28-30 days cycle and your most fertile days will be from 11th to 17th February. In addition, OPK is very much helpful to predict ovulation time. Hence, I think those fertile days are very much right in case of regular period. Chance of pregnancy is 65-75% in first month while women are more concern about fertile days.

Neonatal Meningitis is not transferable/ communicable disease to next pregnancy. Therefore, it is not much likelihood to occur same thing from previous pregnancy.
But, you should always take folic acid & vitamin-E supplement in preconception period for better growth & development of fetal nervous system.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy and always hope for the positive thing.

Dr Soumen.