How soon after angioplasty am i able to have anethesia?

General Surgeon
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Thanks for nice query.     

Two years after open heart surgery one can easily have anesthesia in the well equipped tertiary care center, with experienced XXXXXXX anesthetist specially trained in cardiac anesthesia to supervise the whole procedure.

There have been tremendous improvement in anesthesia, now anesthesia is quite safe even in a serious patient.

Concerned doctor should have prior discussion with the anesthetist, so he can plan best and safe anesthesia for you.

Your GI doctor can do the desired procedure for the stomach tumor.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: How soon after angioplasty am i able to have anethesia? 1 hour later
The heart surgery has nothing to do with the Angioplasty. Because the Angioplasty(the angioplasty was for blockage and clots in my right leg) , was just this October, the GI Dr. does not believe that I should have anethesia. I only mentioned the heart surgery as a background.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 38 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

I understand that you need to undergo an endoscopic ultrasound for which your gastroenterologist needs to give you anaesthesia.

Actually, endoscopic ultrasound is usually done under sedation and rarely requires anaesthesia. Sedation usually causes a slight dip in the heart rate and it would be safe provided it is done under close monitoring. The type and dose of sedation needs to be customized to your requirements as per your history.

Recent angioplasty (of limb vessels) does not cause any significant risks to the use of sedation and can be used in you.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.