How should Vitamin D be taken to avoid side effects?

hi. should I skip taking my vitamin d on some days inorder to avoid getting sensitive to it? I skip taking my multivitamin on weekends to avoid getting sensitive to it, should I do the same with vitamin D? I live in Canada and vitamin D deficiency is very common in Canada so that's why I'm on it.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 23 days later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: It would not be a good idea to skip vitamin D on some days of the week. I want to assure you there is nothing such as the body getting used to it and having a lesser response to it's beneficial effects over time if taken chronically daily. The phenomenon you are describing is also called tachyphylaxis and downregulation in medical jargon and indeed occurs in select biologocal circumstances but has not been reported in the case of vitamin D treatment. Vitamin D is seemingly rampant worldwide and it is important to ensure adequate blood levels. I can understand why it is common in Canada too. Most importantly, go by the blood levels for vitamin D to guide your daily dosage requirement.