How should I take care of my health if I have had coronary angioplasty?

Age - 35
Weight - 80
Height - 5ft 10 inch
I had undergone cornonary angioplasty with 1 stent placed in my heart (left vent.) in 2009. I had suffered from pain that time and sweat...Doctors say that was accute I'm healthy and do exercise (swimming for 45 min) , I don't smoke, no tobacco, no family history and eat home food with less oil (mustard oil) and no ghee, butter at all. I take atorvastatin 10mg, clopidogrel + aspirin 75 mg and Nebivolol hydrochloride 5mg daily...Plus, in the mornings, I take 2-3 cloves of garlic empty stomach, 2 walnuts and 5 almonds a day with 1 XXXXXXX freqently...I also don't consume non-veg regularly...just once in month or two...However, I take 1 beer 650 ml once a week and 120 ml of whisky (2 pegs) once a week.....

Please tell me, am I taking care of my health well? Is the amount I take of alcohol is fine for my heart? Should I do something else or extra to protect me from the occurence of the heart problem again? And, just to have a confidence, is my life span is decreased or if I will take care of me the way I am or the way you suggest, then my life span will be as normal as for any other person who has not suffered with the problem like I did.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Hi Digvijay,

It is good to know that you are maintaining a Healthy life style. So, please do not doubt about your way of living.

About alcohol consumption I feel you are consuming excess alcohol which has to reduced or avoided completely. Theoretically, it is believed that 180 ml of alcohol per week is considered good for health as it reduces cholesterol levels but I suggest you to completely avoid alcohol consumption.

With the life style you are following now, I don't doubt that your life span will be different from any other people.

Following these measures will lead to a good health:
1. Follow your regular life style except consumption of alcohol and reduce consumption of Dry fruits too. These will increase your cholesterol levels.
2. Regular consumption of lots of fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as you are following.
3. Drink lots of fluids (3 to 5 litres per day)
3. Regular check up with your Cardiologist and follow the prescribed medications.

Please do not doubt about your life style. With few changes as stated above You are as good as any other normal person.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: How should I take care of my health if I have had coronary angioplasty? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr.

Just one query, if I want to take alcohol, how much quantity you can strictly suggest which will not hamper my heart condition.

Thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 2 hours later
Hi Digvijay,

Good to hear from you again.

As I Explained you before, I would suggest you to completely avoid alcohol consumption.

Moderate consumption is advised by few medical groups. It is one to two drinks per day. One drink is usually considered to be 300ml of beer, 120 ml of wine, or 40ml of spirits (hard liquor such as gin or whiskey. Each delivers about 12 to 14 grams of alcohol.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.
Thank you again Dr. I will stick to either not taking it or sometimes for celebration etc. I will stick to what you have suggested.

Another thing is, I take Walnuts for Omega-3, can I take Seven Seas Cod liver oil or flax seeds or eat fish rather for Omega content. There is so much of information available but don't know which info is better for Indians as per their genetic structure.

Secondly, which exercise is preferable swimming or jogging or both in balance. And, can I do weight lifting also? I have been doing it and never had any problem after my treatment.

Lastly, I actually get scared even of discussing this with someone...I don't know why that incident has shaken my confidence. I tell so many things to my wife that to take care of this and that in case if I am not there....I seriosly scared of dying by heart to forget this and believe that I am healthy than what I was carrying before?

I am very thankful to you for writing and loving this site that has provided a platform for health concious people to discuss and get satisfied....I don't know what more can I do to appreciate your efforts.

Hi Digvijay,

Thanks for the appreciation.

You can continue with Walnuts as they contain the highest amount of omega-3 compared to other sources.

You can follow both the exercises in balance. You can go for weight lifting but lifting moderate weight would be advised that too in gradual weight increments and also it would be better to consult your Cardiologist or physiotherapist regarding Weight lifting.

There is no need to loose your confidence as many people affected unexpectedly will often loose their confidence. It is your Self Belief which will help you in forgetting the past. Following Meditation regularly will help you in regaining Confidence.

Pleasure to answer your query.

Wish you a good health.