How should I get a complete heart checkup done?

Sir i got my fathers(58years) Lipid profile checked and the level of triglycerides is on the higher side, but rest all other things are fine. He got minor stroke about 8 years back and was discharged from hospital without any stent or surgery, but since than his BP and other things are OK. He never feels any problem while brisk walking etc.
Now i want a complete heart checkup to clear any doubts.
Please guide me that how to proceed and what kind of tests are required, to determine the blockage % and subsequent treatment. I am living in chandigarh
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

First thing you need to be certain is whether your father had a minor stroke or a heart attack? In stroke, the arteries of brain are affected and there is no way to know which artery is likely to get blocked next. Only keeping the blood cholesterol levels under control and having a healthy life style will help.

If he had a heart attack then cardiac assessment is needed. This includes basic assessment like ECG, stress ECG, lipid profile and costly investigations like angiography, cardiac echo, etc.
In chandigarh, all these facilities are available at PGI, sector -12 , Chandigarh or you can go to private multispeciality hospitals with good cardiac unit like FORTIS at Mohali.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: How should I get a complete heart checkup done? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply, but i have following doubts

1. At what %age of blockage in arteries, a Doctor recommend for stenting or surgery.
2. What is the life span of stent once once installed in arteries.
3. Shall i take two opinions in case of angiography.

Also for your information eight years back, PGI suggested immediate stenting/surgery based on TMT results only.
And my worry is that, since than he is not feeling any symptom of any blockage like BP, breathing problem, etc while doing any cardio work like brisk walk etc.

So i am confused that whether i should go for Angiography or not?

Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Angiography is the only way to know whether there is a block or not.
1. The percentage of block is not the deciding factor but the artery which is blocked and the area of heart that it supplies is more important in deciding about stent.
2. Stents usually do not get blocked. Once a stent is placed, it remains there. The problem arises when some other artery at some other place gets blocked due to atherosclerosis (caused by high cholesterol) and causes another heart attack.
3.Angiography itself is a complicated procedure. Get it done at one place. Then you can discuss the report with any number of doctors and have their opinions.

Based on Angiography results stenting can be advised.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.