How serious is to have a small lung nodule?

This is hopefully just a check the process being proposed is o.k. type of question. I had a CT for gastro problems which are sorted - gallstone. On the CT Scan they found a small lung nodule 5mm. My gastro specialist sent to see a respiratory specialist. He ordered a further CT at 3 months to get the whole lung - only part of lung was scanned originally. This has come back confirming the small nodule in the lower right lung remains but there are no other nodules in the lungs. My respiratory consultant and GP say these findings are immensely common in people over 50 (I am 56 and a non smoker) and small nodules are invariably nothing major. They are both fairly laid back about it - in a supportive way. The respiratory specialist does want to do another scan in 12 months - he called it "watch and wait" and said it is precautionary. I actually am positive about this as I understand if the worst were to occur catching it early is always best. He also said if it hasn't changed we can be secure it is benign. This seems a coherent approach - am I right to feel confident in what he is proposing?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello & thank you for submitting your question. It is definitely understandable to feel some anxiety and uncertainty in this type of situation and I'm glad you submitted your question. The steps so far and the plan for follow-up are the best and standard of care for these types of incidental findings. I'm glad to hear that you don't have significant risk factors (non-smoker, general good health) and your positive attitude is beneficial overall. As long as you remain symptom free (no breathing difficulty, cough, general fatigue/malaise) please try not to give this a second thought until your next appointment. I hope this was helpful and again thank you for sharing your question. Take care, Dr G