How serious is it to have intestinal parasite and what is the remedy?

May 2014

Hi, I have been having some stomach troubles this week and believe I have an intestinal parasite (gross I know). I have had seed like things in my stool and realized this week that were strings in my stool. I just moved to a new city however and haven't had time to get a new doctor. How serious is this? I have been trying to find someone to see me but I can't get off of work to see a doctor until next week. Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not serious condition Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Intestinal parasites are common occurrence and commonly found in many adults and children. You need to take treatment for parasitic infections. Since you've not mentioned the size of lesions and if you are having any itching in anal region, its difficult to pinpoint the parasite. However please do not worry as most medications work for almost all parasites. It is not a serious condition and you may wait until next week. Medication is very short course. Dietary and food hygiene is recommended. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek