How serious is a 7mm pineal cyst?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I was diagnosed last march with a 7mm pineal cyst. I had a follow up mri in September with no change in size. I have an mri scheduled for tomorrow to check it again and am terrified its a giant tumor now and that I am dying. Since it has been check twice and stayed the same... Is that a good indication that it will remain stable?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is good that its size is same.This shows benign Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us You don't worry at all.You have small size pineal cyst and it is good that it is not increased in size,this shows its benign nature. Mostly pineal cysts are benign in nature and doesn't require any treatment. Most probably you will not require any intervention or treatment,but you need follow up scan to see increase in size. Any intervention plan depend upon clinical findings and complications. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: How serious is a 7mm pineal cyst? 1 hour later
So what i am understanding is that of it were a malignant tumor it would have grown between the first mri i had in march and the second one in september?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Even benign tumour can grow but rate is slow. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Increase in size is not the only factor to determine benign or malignant. Even benign tumour grows but their rate is slow where as malignant tumour grows faster. Besides this malignant tumour tends to invade the surrounding structures. Pineal lesions are generally benign in nature and usually doesn't require any treatment. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: How serious is a 7mm pineal cyst? 1 minute later
Thank you so very much for your reaponses. You have eased my mind.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You are most welcome. Get well soon. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX