How safe is the procedure of insemination? How much are the chances of pregnancy than a normal try?

Hello doctor,
I am undergoing Follicle study for past two months for conception. This is for conceiving second child. All reports of me and my husband are normal. Doctor said that my egg will be ruptured XXXXXXX My husband will go away for his work, this month end and we have this one chance. He will return back only after 6-8 months. Doctor suggested that if we are willing to go for the procedure of insemination. How safe is it? How much are the chances of pregnancy than a normal try.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Radhika 50 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

You have taken medication like Siphene for infertility and have not conceived upon taking it for 3 cycles. You are now considering Artificial Insemination.

It is generally a safe option. In this procedure, sperm is inserted directly into a woman's cervix, fallopian tubes, or uterus. This makes the trip shorter for the sperm and bypasses any possible obstructions. Artificial insemination can help you conceive if you have a sperm allergy or if your partner has a low sperm count or poor sperm motility. Even though your reports are normal there might be certain unexplained reasons which are causing your infertility.

If you are considering using intracervical insemination (ICI), semen sample is injected directly into the woman’s cervix. Today, intrauterine insemination (IUI) is the most commonly used artificial insemination procedure.

According to the latest data, ICI has about a 50 percent success rate, all cycles combined. Compare this to 86 percent with IUI. You can discuss the pros and cons of using IUI versus ICI with your doctor. Also women under the age of 35 like you, the chances of getting pregnant with artificial insemination are 10 to 20 percent per cycle compared to who are over 35 who have lesser than 10 percent.

Success rates depend on you and your partner's fertility problem and your age. Your chances will be higher if you take fertility drugs in conjunction with the procedure. And couples with unexplained fertility problems have better results with artificial insemination than with the help of fertility drugs alone. The procedure also allows for fertilization to occur naturally inside your body.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.