How safe is spinal fusion and decompression surgery?

I have spinal stenosis and I am diabetic. I have has 3 opinions stating I need a spinal fusion and a decompression. I worry about the surgery and the recovery. Also what the surgery will do my nerves and muscles because I am diabetic. I am diabetic and when I check my blood sugars they run about 80-153, but when I go to the doctor and my A1C is done, it is high. Last time in December it was 10.0. Can you explain why that would be?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer: See below Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health queries. I am so sorry to hear about this this spinal stenosis that you are battling with. with three opinions in support of surgery., I believe this the best decision to follow through with. This surgery would relieve the compression on your nerves. This should relief you of the pains you have been feeling as a result of this. When constant pressure is exerted on a nerve through compression, the pain fibers are excited causing you to feel pain which travels along the path of the nerve at times all the way to your toes. With this decompression, the pressure would be relieved and the nerves free. This will also address the pain symptoms. The muscles would be pulled to the sides in order to gain access to the desired area. Recovery is often great. Remember, if a procedure would not make you feel better, it would not be done. This is entirely in your best interest. While blood sugar measurement reports the value of blood sugar at a given time(snapshot), A1C(Video) gives an idea about the average blood glucose value over 3months. We have patients with good glucose measurements in the morning but poor glucose values at other times. If we were to base our judgment on this one time glucose value(snapshot), we would falsely assume we are doing great. However, A1C(a movie) gives us more idea as to what the minute by minute glucose variation is. When conflicting results are noticed, we need to monitor the blood sugar multiple times, at least 4 times a day, to identify when glucose control is poor and make adjustments either with the morning or evening drug dosages or adding extra medications to be used at different times of the day. I hope I addressed your query fully. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. I wish you an event free surgery. Dr. Ditah, MD.