How safe is robotically assisted surgery for rectocele repair?

Mar 2013
Scheduled tomorrow for total hyst robotically assisted but am now very worried about including my rectocoele repair with this surgery. Have been very symptomatic, ie splinting, staring for over 5 years and it is worsening. I am 67 yo WF and dyspareunia or any other sx, just constipation, stool obstruction and need to push on perineum almost every time I have a stool.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: PROCEDURE IS SOUND, NO CAUSE FOR WORRY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. A rectocele repair is definitely indicated with your symptoms. Isolated rectocele repair done robotically is not the procedure of choice, but in conjunction with a hysterectomy, which you would be undergoing, it gives excellent results. Do not worry at all, as the results of the repair, when done at a skilled centre, are excellent. Please go through the following journal link, it will further reassure you - Do not face the upcoming surgery with stress, but with positivity and confidence. The procedure is academically and practically sound. May I know the indication for your hysterectomy though ? All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.